Monday, January 3, 2011

Creating Basic Shapes with a #6 Hollow Molding Plane

How do I make rabbets?

What are the reasons for making rabbets and chamfers? 


What can I do with a single hollow? Well...

No fillets, 60 degrees of circle, chamfer at 30 degrees

Feel free to knock of the sharp corner on the far right with the same plane to create an ellipse.

1 Fillet, 60 degrees of circle, chamfer at 30 degrees

2 fillets, 60 degrees of circle, chamfer at 30 degrees

Please feel free to make the green rabbet a little deeper and make yourself an ellipse

No fillets, 90 degree circle, chamfer at 45 degrees

1 Fillet, 90 degrees of circle, chamfer at 45 degrees

2 Fillets, 90 degrees of circle, chamfer at 45 degrees

No fillets, 180 degrees of circle, chamfers at 45 degrees

Feel free to use thinner stock with the same chamfers to create an ellipse.

2 Fillets, 180 degrees of circle, chamfers at 45 degrees

That's some of what I can do with one hollow. What can you do with your bullnose router bit?

What can I do with a single round?

What can I do with Google Sketchup?  Waste my time...


I chose a different route for my website last year.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent example of how we are really only limited by our imagination.
    Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all this great information and a great blog!

    Gary

    ReplyDelete