Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Potpourri II

I started making planes because I could not acquire what I wanted without a significant time commitment and/or high levels of disappointment. I now steer people in the direction of my own interests as push planes with which I outfitted my own shop. I can't show you an ogee plane without showing you 10 examples of what $50 more will get you with a hollow and round. I'm sorry.

Let the record show that I really like making dedicated planes. I enjoy sharpening them. I enjoy using them. I enjoy forcing one into unsuspecting passersby at shows and letting them see what they can do. A 1/8" side bead is about as much fun as you can have with planes. I'm amazed at what 6 passes will give you. But I digress...

I make planes (plug) that I originally couldn't acquire. This is why I currently have no intention of making bench planes. I have several Clark & Williams and they're really sweet. I haven't the desire. In fact, I probably sold 15 rabbets before I forced myself to unset the iron in my C&W rabbet plane and shelve it.

One plane that I intend to make and currently do not is a plow. I often tell craftsmen at shows that "you can do anything and everything along the grain with what you see in front of you...well, you'd need a plow for some things, but you can do nearly everything with what you see in front of you...rabbets, hollows, rounds, snipes bills, side rounds, that's it...well, and a plow."

I've seen a fair amount of plows and have bought a 'mint' one or two. I afforded myself a lowly 'G++' plow from Lee Richmond at The Best Things. It arrived. It's perfect. I can feel the desire to make a plow vanishing.
In the second picture you may be able to see the what held this plane from the coveted 'Fine' rating. Once it was in my possession I actually went back to the description to see if my memory was correct. Thank you, Lee, for being so picky and exceeding my expectations.

Hopefully the body of this one won't end up in the burn pile after I gut it for the parts like I have with every moving fillister I've purchased. It won't. 

------------------

Ask and you shall receive (especially if I am currently working on it).

I was asked about left handed planes. 



The most difficult part of making left handed planes is sharpening them. My fingers get in the way and I can't see in the escapement. I feel true sorrow for every south paw each time. I imagine that your experience with the 'minty' planes you've purchased is worse than mine.

Then I remember where left handed mediocrity will get you and I'm okay again
I'll see you in Brooklyn. Go Phillies!

No comments:

Post a Comment