Friday, May 4, 2012

Moving On: Not a Textbook Example for Hollows and Rounds

My biggest regret in making the lowboy I recently completed was posting pictures here. It allowed me to know exactly how long I worked on it. It was demoralizing.

Well, I've started the next project and here I go again.
Technically, this isn't my next project. I have some actual stuff around the house that isn't insignificant. And a bed is what I really want/need. But doing this in pieces will allow me to convince myself and Mr. Marsh that I did it over a few months.

It's part of a birdcage for a tea table.

For this project I won't actually use any of the planes I make. The moulding will be carved.

Thinking: I guess that I may be able to make the case that, in choosing what I will do next, I can consider anything and am still not being limited by my tools, thus having hollows and rounds still affects. But I did need to do this at a friend's shop because I don't have a lathe. I also had an acquaintance come to my shop last week to use my tools. Maybe woodworking friends are more important than tool choice?

3 comments:

  1. Matt, without a doubt, the friends are more valuable in the long run. Tools can be replaced. Friends once gone only live in our memories. I truly enjoy having friends in my shop from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wonder what would happen if you took one of your h&rs to a piece of wood while it was spining on the lathe???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used the rationale of doing projects in pieces but have never convinced myself (or my wife) that it has only taken a few months. She has resorted to buying things she needs and not waiting for me to "make it".

    Bruce S comment is right on target and I have found this to be true over the years.

    Sounds like you could use a small lathe.

    Jim Marsh

    ReplyDelete